Every store aims to sell products and keep a long relationship with its customers. The final result is a product sold out. If you fail to have orders from your customers, everything you’ve done for your store, such as marketing, web design, SEO is meaningless. Your statistics may be excellent with number of website visitors, but would be irrelevant if you cannot make visitors become your customers.
So, what creates this failure to your store? What keeps your revenue the same after you put such an effort into your business? There are some key problems that lead to this failure.
We will list top 6 problems that make your customers unable to finish their shopping process, along with solutions given by e-commerce experts. Please feel free to share and boost up our business world!
A clean theme with a professional look would be appreciated by your customers. A light color in background, with clear texts would attract customers’ eyes, instead of a full-of-text website with no bright colors to highlight the content you want to bring to customers.
Investing products’ pictures is also a key solution to catch customers’ heart. To sell a product, you need to make them visit your store first.
Your website must be interactive with customers, with a professional look, and full of helpful information for your customers. Please visit our recent blog about how to design an e-commerce store to take customers’ attentions.
Shopping cart function does not work as it is supposed to be. Here are some examples.
- If the customers leave the store and come back to make up their minds, some shopping carts do not show items that customers previously added. No one wants to restart their shopping experience from the beginning. They just want to leave the store immediately.
- Incorporate a shopping cart, so that it would always show what customers added. Also, add one more function that reminds customers what they tend to purchase.
- The shopping cart does not pop up every time customers add items. This would make them lose track of what they are buying.
- Add a feature for your shopping cart.
A check-out page is not what customers expect! During purchasing process, customers would love to have a smooth experience, from searching for a favorite product to submitting their card info to purchase the product. An unstructured check-out page is the reason customers want to leave your store soon.
Examples of a bad check-out page that creates visitors a bad shopping experience.
- Bad design – The ugly truth is you cannot catch someone’s heart unless you catch their eyes first. No one wants to purchase at a website that looks unprofessional.
- For solutions, please visit our last blog about designing an effective e-commerce store.
- Requiring too much irrelevant information. Filling out a long list of questions is the easiest way that makes customers give up on staying on your website.
- The check-out process should be simple and easy. Only key information to make a successful transaction should be asked.
- Not enabling a guest check-out function. Not every customer is interested enough in your store to create an account and subscribe to your website. Some customers just want a quick check-out and close the browser.
- To close the deal in seconds, you should enable a guest check-out function. Thus, your customers would not have much time to consider their decisions during the purchasing process. They just press some buttons and finish the transactions.
- For returning customers, it would be annoying for them to fill in their personal information every time they purchase at your store. This shows that your store is unprofessional to not have a data storage for customers’ info. Also, they would not be happy to write everything all over again.
- Auto-fill form with data that is already captured from previous transactions.
In the technology world, security is always on the top list of store owners’ concerns. Not only the sellers, but also buyers is worried about this field. Once the card’s information is submitted, a lot of things could happen. If your website is not safe, a thousand of dollars may be stolen in seconds. Then who does want to stay in your store? You need to show customers that your store is safe. Nothing can claim trust-worthiness for your store than customers’ own experiences.
- Invest a huge amount of money for your store’s security. This way can gain customers trust and create a motivation to purchase your products.
- Hire IT experts to upgrade your protection of customers’ information. Make sure all data is safe in your storage, or on your Cloud.
- Always have a back-up plan for worst situation such as an attack from hackers. You would need to have a second storage to restore what’s gone.
Once customers spend time shopping online, they are having free time. However, this does not mean they agree to waste their golden time on a slow website. A “sluggish” website is the key reason that makes potential customers leave the store. Slowly-responded server causes loss of patience, leading to a loss of revenues. Some customers abandon their carts since the server does not respond.
So, what should you do?
- A settings with supported formats for your website.
- Employ a server that can handle a huge amount of accesses.
- Have a back-up maintenance plan in case that the site goes broken due to many accesses at the same time.
A lack of investment in product’s info and images is such a big mistake. If customers know nothing about your store, it is understandable that they would switch to another store immediately.
An attractive picture of your product, along with a descriptive information would win potential customers’ eyes. Then the price should be appealing as well.
Thus, what you should do is:
- Marketing department should excel at their jobs. A professional product picture would be good.
- All information should be presented in details.