1. What is new in Prestashop version 1.7
Version 18.104.22.168 is a new level compared to ver 1.6.x, which aims at making Prestashop work become more simple together with accelerating the process of putting your online shop into operation. There are 4 main projects as follows:
- Building and maintaining themes is easier:
- An default theme is improved (classy and efficient).
- The time for creating a theme reduce by half
- Improved key features in back-end dashboard:
- A new on boarding for beginners.
- A simplified product-creation workflow.
- Easily find installed and non-installed modules.
- An improved administration interface menu structure, focused on getting the most common tasks done faster.
- A new architecture, based on the Symfony 2 framework.
2. The different benefits of PS ver 1.7 for merchants and developers
- The reworked UI and optimized menu structure will provide a better daily flow,
- The Product page and Module page has been redesigned
- The awesome default theme to get you started.
Upgrading to 1.7 will not be an easy task because 1.6 will not work on 1.7. We recommend merchants to keep working with 1.6 rich ecosystem for the time being. Also, PrestaShop 1.6 will continue to receive security updates for several months, so there is no rush. Version 1.6 is currently your only stable choice.
Even when you desire to upgrade to 1.7, Prestashop 1.6 will be maintained and supported for several months once the stable version of PrestaShop 1.7 is released, so that you could be given enough time to work your way from version 1.6 to version 1.7
For developers: .
As for developers, you should be rush in creating/updating modules and themes: there is a lot of opportunities to be found in the PrestaShop 1.7 ecosystem!
- The Starter Theme will make it way easier to create a brand new theme,
- The widget system, PHP namespaces and other PHP 5.4 niceties (along with performances),
- The ability to call the whole Symfony stack for you module’s needs,
- And more!!!
For module developers, most new features are under the hood, and inaccessible for now. But if you are starting a PrestaShop project now, you should most definitely use 1.7. Right now, it’s obviously less production-tested than 1.6 but it will catch up fast – in no small part thanks to your feedback!
For theme developers, if you need to implement a specific design for a customer you will save a lot of time with 1.7.
3. The link for downloading Beta versions
Now the official PS 1.7 has not released yet, there are just Alpha and Beta versions have launched for testing and debugging before the final one comes in operation.
Prestashop developers can download Beta versions for testing in advance, checking what are new awesome features and finding errors. The help from the testers community is extremely important to build successful completed ver 1.7, so please download them right now and inform us bugs you discovered.
PrestaShop v22.214.171.124 Beta3 – Released on August 01, 2016 – click here
PrestaShop v126.96.36.199 Beta2 – Released on July 18, 2016 – click here
PrestaShop v188.8.131.52 Beta1 – Released on June 01, 2016 – click here
PrestaShop v184.108.40.206 Alpha4 – Released on April 25, 2016 – click here
PrestaShop v220.127.116.11 Alpha3 – Released on April 04, 2016 – click here